Small Ways to Save Real Money
Every one of us is always looking for more ways that we can save a buck or two. After all, who doesn’t like to have more money in their pocket? For that reason, we’ve put together a list of small ways you can save real money.
- Save for the down payment on your home. Yes, that may mean waiting awhile (especially if prices don’t start coming down soon,) but it will be well worth it when you’re not paying thousands of dollars in mortgage insurance every year.
- Don’t buy mortgage life insurance. Instead, purchase term life insurance from a provider that can give it to you much cheaper.
- Use a cash-back credit card that will actually give you money back on most purchases. The MBNA Smart Cash MasterCard is a good one, if you must use credit.
- Get a no-fee chequing account for those purchases that you can’t put on a credit card. ING Direct has a nice product, and it will save you money.
- Find out if your chequing account has a minimum balance feature. Most do, and you’ll save the banking fees by keeping this minimum amount in your bank account. Savings on top of savings – you gotta’ love it!
- Get rid of your landline. With smartphones in just about every consumer’s pocket today, there’s no reason you need two phone lines. Ditch the one at home and save up to $60 a month!
- Set up a schedule of when you’ll call your cable, phone, and Internet providers; make sure to make it every six months or so. Call regularly and inquire about discounts. If you find that you call two or three times without positive results, next time threaten to change carriers. You’ll be surprised at how much they’ll be willing to give you!
- Go to the library. Really, does someone need to tell you this? There you’ll find books, CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays – all for free! Plus it will be a nice outing for you and your family, and you may even find a few activities and clubs there to join too – all for free!
- Stop buying cleaning products. Yes, altogether. Instead, mix concoctions using vinegar, baking soda, rubbing alcohol, and bleach (if absolutely necessary.) Your home will still be super clean, and it may even be a safer environment too!
- Start Meatless Mondays! This is a great way to introduce new vegetarian dishes to your family and, because the cost of meat is only going up, it’s a great way to save money too!
- Do you really need all that car insurance? Dropping collision can save you a ton on insurance, and it’s not a required component. Also consider increasing the deductible (the amount you’ll have to pay in case of accident,) and see how much lower your monthly payments are!